Are you confused about your throat tightening?
Does your voice stop working when you’re nervous?
Have you been told to “open the throat” but don’t know how?
Now for the first time EVER on DVD
you can learn exactly where your throat closes, and how to open it…
in 21 minutes or less!
Gillyanne Kayes, Methuen bestselling author and voice researcher, takes you step by step through this remarkable technique.This is one of the most important tools in any vocal toolkit, and it’s the first time the entire process has been taught on DVD
Filmed as part of the Singing and the Actor Training intensive seminar, the work on this DVD is based on the chapter “My voice won’t come out at Auditions” in Gillyanne’s best-selling book ‘Singing and the Actor’.
This DVD will teach you:
- the difference between relaxed and open, and why you need both
- how to identify a tight throat in speaking, singing or breathing
- how you can monitor your practice from the outside – and the most common mistake people make
- how to find the ‘silent laugh’ position using several different approaches
- how to separate the silent laugh from unwanted physical tensions
- what to do when you lose the silent laugh
- what to do when you don’t feel like laughing at all
- how to check if you’re doing it right
- how you can open up without sounding like a classical singer
- why noisy whispering is bad for you
- how to separate your true vocal folds from your false vocal folds, and why it’s essential for healthy speaking and singing
- what to listen for when you are opening the throat – and why you DON’T want to hear the “sounds of the sea”
- when doing it “wrong” can be right
- how to isolate false vocal fold constriction from tongue movement
- how to find three positions of the false vocal folds – and the most common mistake that people make
- what the true vocal folds are doing when you are performing unvoiced constriction
The techniques listed below have been taught for decades:
- Constriction and release of the false vocal folds
- Moving the false vocal folds
- Deconstriction (Voice Clinic Handbook) also known as
- Releasing hyperadduction of the folds
- Retraction (Estill Voice Craft model)
- The silent laugh
They all have one thing in common: moving your false vocal folds away from the midline to release tightness in your throat.
This is something we do naturally – parents laughing at their children without showing it, being back at school and wanting to laugh without being caught, or even actors ‘corpsing’ onstage. Now you can discover exactly how the silent laugh technique works as Gillyanne guides you through ‘smiling inside’.
Join the group as they go through the entire technique of the silent laugh and its partner, ‘silent breathing’. This DVD footage was devised by Gillyanne and Jeremy for actors, singers, teachers and voice therapists wanting to learn precise, effective techniques for vocal improvement in singing or speaking.
Watch Gillyanne and Jeremy teaching in a group situation and discover how to pass the knowledge on to one person or a large group. The DVD is packed with tips for teaching the techniques to your own students and clients, including using hand signs for clarity and isolation exercises to release excess tension.
The plenary session includes visual, auditory and kinaesthetic cues for a complete learning experience – watch as the participants visualise the false vocal folds moving, hear the sound change and feel the difference in their own voice. Witness the group singing and speaking with constriction and with retraction, and hear the difference.
We aim to help you optimise your learning experience, so this DVD includes:
- discover why ‘brain pain’ can get in the way, and what to do when you get it
- understand the cycle of learning – and find out which of the four stages of competence you are in
- feel, hear and visualise the techniques for a deeper understanding of how your voice works
The relevant page references are included from both editions of Gillyanne’s book Singing and the Actor (the silent laugh/constriction and release) and from the Voice Clinic Handbook by Harris, Harris, Rubin and Howard (deconstriction/the release of hyperadduction).
The DVD is divided into Chapter headings and is incredibly easy to navigate, either by mouse on your computer mouse or on television using your DVD remote handset.
- Brain Pain
- The silent laugh
- Feeling constriction
- What do you feel?
- Auditory monitoring
- Constricting harder
We’ve tested the DVD on a number of different machines including PC, laptop, Mac tower and DVD player… the footage will play on your computer or standalone DVD player and can be played full-screen. Each chapter can be stopped and rewound, so if you want to go over something several times, you can!
Our mission is to bring you clear, precise and effective information and techniques to improve your vocalising, performing and teaching.
But don’t take our word for it!
Here’s what people say about our work:
“If you really want to know about the inner workings of the human voice, you need to turn to the work of Gillyanne Kayes and Jeremy Fisher”
OPERA NOW magazine
“Revolutionising the way singing is taught”
“I gained enormously from the course – not least the safe nurturing and encouraging environment.”
“Wonderful teaching and clear and accessible explanations of some complex concepts.”
“I feel like I’ve learned an awful lot and want to take it much further. You are both very inspiring teachers.
“I enjoyed every single moment of the course. Both Gillyanne and Jeremy are very approachable and their teaching methods are first class. Highly recommended to anyone who wishes to improve their voice quality.”
that’s not all…
To help you embed the techniques, and to give you a greater understanding of what’s going on ‘down there’, we’ve added two fantastic bonus tracks.<
BONUS 1 – Practice
Eavesdrop on the practice group as Jeremy takes the participants through the exercises. This bonus track comprises almost 15 minutes of excerpts from the practice session, and shows Jeremy working with a small group of participants to help them improve their understanding and personal voice use.
Watch their individual progress as they experiment with the techniques
Listen to different people describing their own sensations
– not everyone feels what you feel!
Witness the techniques being mastered in minutes
This bonus track includes:
- Differentiating between constriction and creaky voice (vocal fold fry) and why creak can be good for you
- Clear demonstrations in male and female voices
- Heavy-duty constriction and what it feels like
- A special exercise to check where the constriction is being made, and why a Scottish loch can help
- How the false vocal folds move – a useful tip for visual learners
BONUS 2 – Looking at a Voice: Constriction and Release
As a second thank-you for buying this DVD we’re including a free, high-quality copy of ‘Looking At A Voice: Constriction and Release’. The original Looking At A Voice series was a UK first, and the debut video ebook was featured on the BBC science programmes ‘Leading Edge’ and‘Science in Action’, broadcast to an estimated 44,000,000 people!
This endoscopy video shows EXACTLY what’s happening inside your throat when you tighten.
- See inside a healthy living larynx as it performs the constriction and retraction exercises
- Closeup video footage uses two different cameras inside the throat, showing the movement of the entire larynx AND extreme close-ups of the true and false vocal folds themselves in stroboscopic ‘slow motion’.
- The footage includes Jeremy performing some unusual vocal tasks including silent constriction – holding the true vocal folds together without vibrating while moving the false vocal folds – fast constriction and release, and extreme constriction of the false vocal folds and throat.
And there’s the Vocal Process guarantee!
We guarantee that if you find the DVD to be faulty in any way we will replace it with no cost to you. Just return the faulty DVD to us and we will send you another copy and refund all postage costs to you. (Please understand that due to the nature of a DVD and its content we cannot offer replacements on opened items unless they are faulty).
This Constriction and Release DVD costs only £47.00, less than the price of a single session with either Gillyanne or Jeremy. The price includes postage and packing in the UK – see the shopping cart for details of our reasonable postage and packing costs outside the UK. And you can buy using your credit card or your paypal account via our secure shopping cart. Rest assured, we never see your credit card details
To your (openthroated) success,
P.P.S. You also get the bonus tracks – Jeremy’s practice session and the complete ‘Looking at a Voice: Constriction and Release’ endoscopy video – to help you understand and clarify your practice.
10 West Wall
Presteigne LD8 2BY
+44 (0)1544 267946